Gail Watson Phillips - POP Motorsports Race Team 080210
DryLakes Hall of Fame

#1 Gail's Racing History  

 #2 OZ Trip 2001

 #3 C-5 Vette at Bonneville 2006 

#4 Doug's Racing History 

Australia 2007    

Car Stats
Doug's Crash 

Doug's Crash Photos


POP Car Photos

Gail Background

POP Motorsports Home   

AU 3/7/2007  



Hello Family, Friends and Racers who follow the saga of the POP Motorsports Race Team: 
Here is the sad news - AGAIN - but at least we have had a little advance notice. (this is from Sunday, Feb 10th 2008).
Gail & Al Phillips

After an inspection of Lake Gairdner by representatives of the DLRA and Rangers from the South Australian Department of Environment and Heritage, on Friday 7th February 2008 and again on Saturday 8th February 2008. It has been decided to indefinitely postpone the 2008 DLRA Speed Week.
This decision has not been taken lightly, and in consideration of the wasted travels made by many competitors last year it was deemed appropriate to make a decision at this time. It is understood that there are some international vehicles in transit now and their departure was guided by the best information available at that time.

Using GPS an inspection of the track surface was undertaken at each mile mark, the salt was soft enough for a large screwdriver to be pushed in by hand. Where vehicles had driven over the salt, the depression left by the tires immediately filled with water. On the Friday a DEH 4WD got bogged at the northern end of the course, fortunately they had a satellite phone and were able to contact DLRA members who brought out the necessary equipment to effect a difficult recovery.
It should be noted at the inspection at the lake in December 2007 by DLRA members, even though there was surface water, it took up to 5 blows of a mallet to drive a sharpened spike on 25mm into the salt.

Several teams are still planning on going out to the Lake around the 3rd March 2008, another inspection of the lake and track surface will take place at that time. It is not anticipated that the surface will be suitable at this time, so further inspections are planned for later in the year.

The issue of cancellation or postponement was discussed by approx 70 members at a meeting in Melbourne on 10/02/2008. There was overwhelming support to conduct a meeting later in the year if conditions were favorable. There are a number of other considerations to be taken into account for another date including the Newtons giving their approval, fire and safety crews availability, surveyors being able to mark the track at short notice and many, many other details.
Keep the shiny side up!

DLRA WebMaster                                                   ,-._|\
Dry Lakes Racers Australia                                   /  Oz   \
PO Box 349 Castlemaine VIC Australia 3450     \_,--._/
P: 03 5472 4629                                                           v
F: 03 5472 4370